Design of RF MEMS based switch matrix for space applications
- 1ThalesAlenia Space, L'Aquila, Italy
- 2University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- 3Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
- 4CNR – Institute for Microelectronics and Microsystems, Roma, Italy
- 5FONDAZIONE BRUNO KESSLER, Trento, Italy
- 6ThalesAlenia Space, Roma, Italy
Abstract. RF MEMS based switch matrices have several advantages compared to the mechanical or solid-state switch based ones for space applications. They are compact, light and less lossy with a high linearity up to high frequency. In this work, a 12 × 12 switch matrix with RF MEMS and LTCC technologies is presented based on the planar Beneš network. The simulated performance of the 12 × 12 switch matrix is below −12 dB IL (Insertion Loss) up to C band and −15 dB RL (Return Loss) up to Ku band. Moreover, it has a good isolation better than −50 dB. A 4 × 4 switch matrix with the same design process and technologies is fabricated and measured to verify the 12 × 12 switch matrix design process. The measured performance agrees very well to the simulations.